• Hi and welcome to the Studio One & Studio Pro User Forum!

    Please note that this is an independent, user-driven forum and is not endorsed by, affiliated with, or maintained by Fender. Learn more in the Welcome thread!

What happens when v.9 is released??

I paid £70 a few years back to get the Presence Editor add on - now everyone gets it for free. Am I complaining?

I guess we will find out - I don't think I will get anything different from anyone else and am guessing there will be a paid Upgrade in less than 2 years anyway. And if I don't get free updates after a year, then I will wait until the next major paid Update of the software - if I feel it's worth the money I'll pay for it. Or switch back to DP or Reason.
 
I paid £70 a few years back to get the Presence Editor add on - now everyone gets it for free. Am I complaining?

I guess we will find out - I don't think I will get anything different from anyone else and am guessing there will be a paid Upgrade in less than 2 years anyway. And if I don't get free updates after a year, then I will wait until the next major paid Update of the software - if I feel it's worth the money I'll pay for it. Or switch back to DP or Reason.
Fair enough. I guess you need to see this the way you need to see it.

VP
 
Last edited:
And kindly tell me what you date you see there. This is the date that all your updates will cease.
Why not just leave it? Honest opinion, you're coming across as a bit of a prick keep hassling the guy, and i'm sure you don't want to appear like that, nor is it healthy for anyone to read so many posts of you continually prodding.
 
Why not just leave it? Honest opinion, you're coming across as a bit of a prick keep hassling the guy, and i'm sure you don't want to appear like that.

Yep - fully agreed.

Just thought he might be ok with sharing the real expiry date. No biggie.

VP
 
Last edited:
To be honest, I'm not sure what is confusing about "With a perpetual license, you get free feature updates for 12 months".
This has always been my point, and it reminds me of why I avoid these topics.The explanations always seem to go into beating the horse to death, mode. Until someone like Luke states the obvious.

For me, I wait on updating for several reasons. Either a project takes priority (where stability is of the essence), an immediate update would almost never dictate some enhancement for a release, and waiting for a sale just allows my budget to stretch a little farther. Or allows for the purchase of something more substantial.

I havent moved to 8 yet, nor feel I should. But I get if some position themself for the best bang for their buck. All in good stride.
Enjoy!
 
A little off-topic, but probably no one will read this dead thread anyway . . .

I'm a Studio One Pro user since version 3. When I bought S1 v7 (perpetual) I had the impression that I would get a year of updates/upgrades, and after that I'd own the software as it was at the one-year mark, and wouldn't have to pay any more for that -- BUT I COULD IF I WANTED TO GET NEW FEATURES. In other words, as long as I was OK with the DAW that I bought and the updates I had received, I could sit tight, wait for a new version that had compelling new features, and upgrade then -- at the upgrade price.

But -- and I blame myself for this -- it turned out that last week, when I was ready to "upgrade," I was only allowed to do that by purchasing the full version 8 at the full price, as if I had not already been supporting the product for eight years. This is what I get for not paying more attention to my "upgrade eligibility expiration date." I didn't even know there was such a thing.

I lived through the chaos of Gibson acquiring Cakewalk SONAR in 2018 (?), then scrambling to make it more profitable, before shutting it down abruptly. Now here's another guitar company, probably employing more lawyers than musicians/software engineers, squeezing my little budget for every penny. I'm not ungrateful. I just hope they don't arrive at the same solution Gibson did.
 
A little off-topic, but probably no one will read this dead thread anyway . . .

I will. :)

But -- and I blame myself for this -- it turned out that last week, when I was ready to "upgrade," I was only allowed to do that by purchasing the full version 8 at the full price, as if I had not already been supporting the product for eight years.

This makes no sense. If you are all setup and in normal standing in your MyFender account - you should be able to execute an "upgrade" from v7 - at any time. Your entire product purchase history would be listed there and upgrading is easy.

More info would be appreciated - especially this part:

"I was only allowed to do that by purchasing the full version 8 at the full price"

Where exactly did you see this or try to execute the purchase?

VP
 
I fear he confused “Update” eligibility (new versions for free within a year) with “Upgrade” eligibility (one can currently buy the upgrade at a reduced fare at any time to switch from v7 to v8). And yes: in my account is stated “update eligibility expired”.
 
I fear he confused “Update” eligibility (new versions for free within a year) with “Upgrade” eligibility (one can currently buy the upgrade at a reduced fare at any time to switch from v7 to v8). And yes: in my account is stated “update eligibility expired”.
Hmm - I am not getting that.

What I am getting is "I expected to pay $99.00 for my v8 upgrade (from v7) - but instead I am presented with a price that is not $99.00".

What that price is - and where exactly it is being displayed - only @Larry Jones can say...

VP
 
More info would be appreciated - especially this part:

"I was only allowed to do that by purchasing the full version 8 at the full price"

It was at the Fender shop website. I select the $99 update option and the "Continue to Checkout" button is greyed out. If I switch to the $199 option (which I think is what you pay if you are a first-time buyer). the checkout button becomes available.

Edited to add: Because of your questioning, I went back to the Fender shop and tried (again) to buy the $199 full version. "Checkout" is greyed out even for that version.
 
Last edited:
I went back to the Fender shop and tried (again) to buy the $199 full version. "Checkout" is greyed out even for that version.
Sounds like possibly a browser issue or something else going on here.

Suggest you get a ticket into Fender Support and have them scope it out for you.

VP
 
Back
Top