• Hi and welcome to the Studio One & Studio Pro User Forum!

    Please note that this is an independent, user-driven forum and is not endorsed by, affiliated with, or maintained by Fender. Learn more in the Welcome thread!

Open Source SongLens v1.1.4

Doc McCoy

Active member
I built this because I’ve got 200+ songs and got tired of trying to remember what was in each project. For years I’ve disliked having to launch Studio One or Fender Studio and open the song just to figure out what it actually was. My goal was to stop relying on a spreadsheet and start using the song/session information already stored in the project files. For me, it’s already replaced that workflow. The most recent addition, which was a complete game-changer for me was adding instant playback of any mixdown song.
  • Operating System: Windows 11 x64
  • Compatibility: Studio One versions 4 and up. Fender Studio Pro 8 and up
  • Status: Stable
  • Price / license: Free and Open Source
  • Testing: Completed
  • AI assistance: Yes (Codex)

SongLens Features​

SongLens is a free, open-source Windows application for browsing, searching, inspecting, playing mixdowns, and exporting information stored inside Studio One and Fender Studio Pro .song files.

It reads song files locally and does not require Studio One, Fender Studio Pro, network access, or an external service to inspect a library.

Library browsing​

  • Browse an entire song library using a filtered folder tree.
  • Display songs from individual folders, searches, or the complete catalog.
  • Exclude autosaves and History revisions from normal browsing, searches, filters, and exports.
  • Expand or collapse the visible folder tree.
  • Rescan after making external changes to the library.
  • Return directly to an active date-filtered or all-songs view with Reload Filtered View.
  • Sort SongLens View by any displayed column.
  • Choose which columns are visible.
  • Drag columns into a preferred order.
  • Resize columns without an artificial fill-column limit.
  • Save column visibility, order, widths, and other layout settings.
  • Track intentionally selected songs in Recently Viewed.
  • Reveal songs and folders in Windows Explorer.
  • Rename songs from the song context menu.
  • Delete folders through a guarded folder action.
  • Use a bounded, file-change-aware metadata cache for faster repeat navigation.

Search and filtering​

  • Fast keyword search across the complete catalog.
  • Search filenames, titles, artists, years, tempo, key, time signature, comments, song notes, track names, instrument names, and track notes.
  • Build Advanced Searches using multiple rules.
  • Match all rules or any rule.
  • Use text, numeric, and date comparisons.
  • Save and reload frequently used searches.
  • Filter songs by:
    • All songs
    • Newer or older than a specified number of days
    • A date range
    • Created or Modified date
  • Optionally display the complete filter result directly in SongLens View.
  • Preserve visible columns, column order, sorting, and matching rows in search-result snapshots.

Song details​

  • Summary metadata including:
    • Title and artist
    • Year
    • Date created and last modified
    • Tempo
    • Key and time signature
    • Song length
    • Track and preset counts
    • Sample rate and bit depth
    • Studio version
    • Comments and file path
  • Filtered raw attributes from metainfo.xml.
  • Song/session notes from notes.txt.
  • Track notes from both older and newer Studio One notepad formats.
  • Duplicate track-note titles without rejecting the song.
  • Friendly Studio One and Fender Studio Pro version names.

Tracks and groups​

  • Display track number, track name, routed instrument, and track note.
  • Detect the actual routed instrument when that information is available.
  • Show folder rows and track hierarchy.
  • Identify disabled tracks.
  • Filter Track View by:
    • Tracks containing events
    • Disabled tracks
    • Folder rows
  • Show song groups or folders together with their assigned track names.

Mixer inspection​

  • Mixer overview divided into:
    • Main
    • Inserts
    • Sends
  • Separate pre- and post-insert chains when stored in the song.
  • Display insert slot, plug-in, preset, and bypass information.
  • Display send destination, level, pan, pre/post-fader placement, and bypass information.
  • Open a Full Mixer window containing:
    • Inputs and outputs
    • Audio and instrument channels
    • Buses
    • FX and aux channels
    • VCAs
    • Listen bus
  • Preserve the saved Studio One console order.
  • Identify channels hidden in the Studio One mixer.
  • Show channel format, routing, VCA assignment, groups, volume, pan, inserts, sends, and channel state.
  • Expand or collapse folder-track mixer channels, including nested routed descendants.
  • Copy the complete mixer table with headers.

Mixdown playback​

  • Identify songs containing supported audio files with a musical-note column.
  • Use Listen to This Song from the song context menu.
  • Find every supported audio file in a configurable mixdown folder.
  • Recognize exact song names and numbered mixdown versions.
  • Retain access to older mixdowns whose filenames no longer match a renamed song.
  • List matching filenames first and show each file’s modification date.
  • Open audio using the Windows default player or a selected custom player.

Opening songs​

  • Open a song in the application with which it was last saved.
  • Offer compatible alternate Studio One or Fender Studio Pro versions when available.
  • Enable or disable song launching through Preferences.
  • Reveal a song in Explorer without launching it.

CSV and Excel exports​

  • Export the current song, current results, or the full library.
  • Select which metadata fields to include.
  • Save preferred export fields.
  • Include song notes, numbered track notes, disabled tracks, folder context, groups, and mixer information.
  • Keep the main CSV catalog to one row per song.
  • Write normalized mixer data to a companion -mixer-details.csv file.
  • Export an Excel workbook containing:
    • A Catalog worksheet
    • A normalized Mixer Details worksheet
    • Links from songs to their mixer information
    • Frozen headers and column filters

Snapshots​

  • Save snapshots as Text or JSON.
  • Preview detailed snapshots before saving.
  • Create a snapshot for:
    • The selected song
    • Every song in the current folder
    • Every song in a search result
  • Use List View to reproduce the visible SongLens View layout and sorting.
  • Use Detail View to create a complete multi-song report.
  • Include Summary, Attributes, Tracks, Groups, Mixer, and Notes.
  • Apply snapshot-only Track View overrides without changing saved preferences.
  • Create snapshots of Advanced Search results.

History management​

  • Browse saved song revisions without allowing them to clutter the main catalog.
  • Sort and inspect History files.
  • Explicitly mark revisions for deletion.
  • Use Select All and Clear All for cleanup.
  • Automatically leave a chosen number of recent revisions unmarked.
  • Review every deletion before it occurs.
  • Display a dated list of files that will be retained.
  • Delete only checked revisions after confirmation.
  • Select and launch a saved revision in a compatible Studio One or Fender Studio Pro version.
  • Clear the revision-load option when another row is selected as a safety measure.
  • Automatically refresh SongLens after History cleanup.

Preferences and interface​

  • Light and Dark themes.
  • Independent font-size controls for the main interface, folder tree, SongLens View, detail grids, notes, previews, and dialogs.
  • Resizable Preferences window.
  • Configurable visible detail tabs.
  • Sticky Tabs to retain the selected detail tab while changing songs.
  • Saved window sizes and UI state.
  • Saved filter, search, export, playback, History, and layout preferences.
  • Windows regional formatting for dates and times.
  • Visible progress and status information while building or searching the catalog.

Platform and availability​

  • Supported platform: Windows 11 x64.
  • Self-contained installer and portable editions are available; a separate .NET installation is not normally required.
  • Studio One or Fender Studio Pro is only required when opening a song, not when browsing or inspecting its contents.
  • SongLens operates locally and does not upload song information.
Download the current release:
https://github.com/askinner432/SongLens/releases/latest

Documentation and user guide:
https://github.com/askinner432/SongLens/wiki

Source code:
https://github.com/askinner432/SongLens

If you want to learn more before downloading:

Download:

Note: Windows may show a SmartScreen warning on first launch since this is a new build. If you downloaded it from the official release page, you can click More info > Run anyway to continue.

This was built with help from Codex and is released as-is. I’m not promising active support or major future development, but if you try it and have suggestions, feel free to share them.

Thanks,
Doc

1790775702315.png
 
Last edited:
Hi all,

I just posted the first public release of SongLens, a free/open-source Windows desktop tool for browsing metadata from PreSonus Studio One 7 and Fender Studio 8 `.song` files.
Doc

Just downloaded the standalone and pointed it at a folder full of S1v7/SPv8 *.song files - nothing came back in the browser.

Not a lot of control in there so I am unsure what is not happening - but even on a single folder with a single song - I still get nothing.

VP
 
so you input your path to your song library and it didn't find anything?

Correct. Several paths in fact.

Here is a folder containing ALL my Active stuff at this time (don't let the dates influence anything - these are all v7/v8 "songs):

1778680339919.png


and regardless of which one I highlight - I get this

1778680416357.png


All these are in various states of construction. Some finished, others need work.

They all load perfectly into SP v8.0.3 and all have the usual documentation (Notes, track data) and of course plugins.

VP
 
Doc

Just downloaded the standalone and pointed it at a folder full of S1v7/SPv8 *.song files - nothing came back in the browser.

Not a lot of control in there so I am unsure what is not happening - but even on a single folder with a single song - I still get nothing.

VP
well shoot. I do see that you are Windows 10 Pro. I don't know whether that's the cause, but it is bundled specifically for Win 11 x64. Let's see what any others experience and go from there
 
well shoot. I do see that you are Windows 10 Pro. I don't know whether that's the cause, but it is bundled specifically for Win 11 x64. Let's see what any others experience and go from there

Yes - Windows 10 22H2 here - with all the most recent .NET/Visual C++ redistbutables etc.

I am (finally) going Windows 11 later this summer but as of now - I am where I am.

Will keep an eye of this thread.

And congrats on the tool! For my upcoming new DAW build - this would be right up my alley for intel gathering purposes.

Cheers!

VP
 
Correct. Several paths in fact.

Here is a folder containing ALL my Active stuff at this time (don't let the dates influence anything - these are all v7/v8 "songs):

View attachment 3455

and regardless of which one I highlight - I get this

View attachment 3456

All these are in various states of construction. Some finished, others need work.

They all load perfectly into SP v8.0.3 and all have the usual documentation (Notes, track data) and of course plugins.

VP
Doesn't look like WIn 10. What happens if you click Expand? Are there subfolders under those dated ones or are the songs in the dated folders?
 
Last edited:
Doesn't look like WIn 10. What happens if you click Expand?
I see a few "history" folders show themselves on various tracks - but when I highlight the first track and then use the Down arrow on the keyboard to select any main song folder in the "expanded" tree - no actual data appears for any highlighted song in the "tabbed" area in the lower right.

VP
 
I see a few "history" folders show themselves on various tracks - but when I highlight the first track and then use the Down arrow on the keyboard to select any main song folder in the "expanded" tree - no actual data appears for any highlighted song in the "tabbed" area in the lower right.

VP
try using the search and look for a song name, tempo, key, etc... and send the screenshot. I've traced the code and the only occasion that "0" found message should occur is when it can't find a .song in the folder you select. Still checking though.... Apologies for the problem and thanks for your help and patience.
 
Last edited:
try using the search and look for a song name, tempo, key, etc... and send the screenshot. I've traced the code and the only occasion that "0" found message should occur is when it can't find a .song in the folder you select. Still checking though.... Apologies for the problem and thanks for your help and patience.
I will go you one better..

Here is a voiceover session from 16 minutes ago:

1778682746801.png


And the folder structure (with resulting *.song file right in there)...

1778682771179.png


And the SongLens view of that exact location:

1778682962979.png


Nada.

VP
 
This is helpful. I'm curious about the blocked out part of your path in #3. Could you DM me your full path so I can recreate your file structure here?
Unfortunately - I cannot reveal client names.

You will need to recreate your paths - minus those.

But I tested that as well - did not matter.

VP
 
Unfortunately - I cannot reveal client names.

You will need to recreate your paths - minus those.

But I tested that as well - did not matter.

VP
Understood. I know this is getting tedious but did Search fail to return anything as well?
 
Understood. I know this is getting tedious but did Search fail to return anything as well?
Tried everything that I could think of in the Search field - nothing came back.

VP
 
Tried everything that I could think of in the Search field - nothing came back.

VP
nada again. I took a shot at recreating your path, including the possibility of adding a special character thinking maybe that could be an issue. However, when I walked it down to the .song level up popped the metadata. I'm pretty sure now that this has nothing to do with it, but let me know if I was close on the path or anything I should do differently. I know it doesn't help, but I'm really beginning to suspect Win 10.

I have some research to do....

1778689512861.png
 
nada again. I took a shot at recreating your path, including the possibility of adding a special character thinking maybe that could be an issue. However, when I walked it down to the .song level up popped the metadata. I'm pretty sure now that this has nothing to do with it, but let me know if I was close on the path or anything I should do differently. I know it doesn't help, but I'm really beginning to suspect Win 10.

I have some research to do....

View attachment 3463

Just tested in deep paths and very short paths - like D:\Downloads - still nothing.

Let me know what you discover.

VP
 
Just tested in deep paths and very short paths - like D:\Downloads - still nothing.

Let me know what you discover.

VP
I just added some more diagnostic logging into the app. If you're game, the file is in the same place but the file you want is the 1.0.1 version. You'll need to uninstall the version on you machine first and then install the 1.0.1 version.

Sadly this trip around the horn will likely not produce different results for you, but it will hopefully shine a light on the problem through the logging I've put in place. When you test 1.0.1, try a couple of different folders, maybe some differing naming schemes as well. When you're done send me the 3 .log files located at %LocalAppData%\SongLens (just paste that into File Explorer and it will take you to the right place). With a little skill and lot of luck, this exercise will point out why SongLens refuses to work for you. I know you're busy so no rush.
 
When you're done send me the 3 .log files located at %LocalAppData%\SongLens (just paste that into File Explorer and it will take you to the right place).

Your code is referencing an entity that has not been properly declared.

This identical error block repeats in the diagnostic log - every time a *.song file is parsed:

System.Xml.XmlException: Reference to undeclared entity 'copy'. Line 29, position 42.
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.HandleGeneralEntityReference(String name, Boolean isInAttributeValue, Boolean pushFakeEntityIfNullResolver, Int32 entityStartLinePos)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.HandleEntityReference(Boolean isInAttributeValue, EntityExpandType expandType, Int32& charRefEndPos)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseAttributeValueSlow(Int32 curPos, Char quoteChar, NodeData attr)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseAttributes()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElement()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElementContent()
at System.Xml.Linq.XContainer.ReadContentFrom(XmlReader r)
at System.Xml.Linq.XDocument.Load(XmlReader reader, LoadOptions options)
at System.Xml.Linq.XDocument.Load(Stream stream, LoadOptions options)
at SongMetainfoBrowser.App.SongMetadataReader.Read(String songPath)
at SongMetainfoBrowser.App.MainForm.LoadSongsForFolder(String folderPath)

And - I only see two log files at that location above - "diagnostic.log" and "startup.log"

The other file is a*.json file - which just contains "grid" info.

VP
 
This was extremely helpful. I may have a fix for you with 1.0.2 https://github.com/askinner432/SongLens/releases/tag/v1.0.0

Same deal as before, uninstall, download 1.0.2, run and test. I suggest you delete the 3 files in %LocalAppData%\SongLens so we start fresh with the logging. When you're done then attach the diagnostics.log file in your response so I can see everything it's encountering. I'm feeling optimistic (for what it's worth). Once again, only when you have time....
 
When you're done then attach the diagnostics.log file in your response so I can see everything it's encountering. I'm feeling optimistic (for what it's worth). Once again, only when you have time....

No need for logs now - good to go!

All songs load up just fine. Can see all the attributes etc.

Now - if there was just some way to export this stuff...(heh heh)... like to *csv maybe...

VP
 
No need for logs now - good to go!

All songs load up just fine. Can see all the attributes etc.

Now - if there was just some way to export this stuff...(heh heh)... like to *csv maybe...

VP
Thanks for sticking with it. Since there has been almost no interest in the app, I appreciate you giving it a go and hanging in there. If you're interested, even if you're not, that "&copy" error was unhandled because I never expected it. It's not in any of my 7/8 files. Essentially what was happening is that the program was hitting something it wasn't prepared for and just skipping EVERY .song. I built 1.0.2 to be more resilient. I'll look into .CSV. and....thanks again for the help
 
Back
Top