• Hi and welcome to the Studio One & Studio Pro User Forum!

    Please note that this is an independent, user-driven forum and is not endorsed by, affiliated with, or maintained by Fender. Learn more in the Welcome thread!

Is the "Studio Assistant" Feature as Significant as I Think It Is?

Craig Anderton

Well-known member
Disclaimer: I don't know a thing about software and coding. But I am inherently curious, and I wondered if Studio Assistant is an example of a small, trained LLM. Well, I've been digging into how this works, and it's very interesting. I think Studio Pro is basically trying to end Help files, and looking into an assistance mechanism that may not be future-proof, but sure seems to be future-friendly.

Studio Assistant acts like you're interacting with ChatGPT or its ilk, but it's based on a generic, off-the-shelf LLM from Mendix. It's not trained on Studio One, it's just a generic LLM. So how does it "learn" Studio Pro? The answer is...it doesn't. Mendix is embedded within Studio Pro, and basically wraps the off-the-shelf LLM with Mendix-specific guardrails and tools. So, the LLM isn't trained on Studio Pro, or becomes an "expert" on how Studio Pro works. Instead, it's an agent that does information retrieval. Because it's inside Studio Pro, it knows what document you're looking at, what you're trying to do, and the context of what you want to know. It can retrieve documentation, examples, metadata - basically, everything that exists in the Studio One environment. This is why it doesn't have to "learn" anything, it just finds relevant stuff that already exists.

This seems like a really smart approach. It's the same type of architecture used by Microsoft Copilot, Google Gemini Agents, OpenAI GPTs, etc., applied specifically to our world. Mendix doesn't have to be retrained when the next update or version of Studio Pro comes out, nor does it need a huge proprietary dataset. There are very low hallucination risks, and no legal/IP complications because it's interacting in a strictly regulated environment with guardrails. Software geeks who know more about this stuff than I ever will can check out this link about Mendix AI Assistance. And please, correct me if I'm wrong and missing or misinterpreting something! Although I'm concerned that this will become a "Studio Pro subscribers get X amount of free tokens and then you have to pay," to be fair, not everything can be free.

As Spock used to say, "Fascinating, captain." Or at least I think so :ROFLMAO:
 
In a time where no-one read manuals anymore it makes sense to give them to a tool that reads them (and whatever else you feed it with) and then sits there to answer your questions. To stay with Star Trek: "Computer, what is the closest distance to a restroom?";)
 
I like better than help/manual b/c I can ask how to questions instead of keyword searches.
 
Going into the Mendix documentation, Studio Pro has a different meaning in the Mendix environment; "Mendix Studio Pro is a tool for creating, viewing, and editing your Mendix applications". This could get very confusing - the only saving grace is that their Studio Pro is v11, whereas our Studio Pro is v8!! https://docs.mendix.com/refguide/studio-pro-overview/

As far as I can discover, Mendix Studio Pro has nothing whatsoever to do with Fender Studio Pro or its AI Assistant. Mendix's 'Maia' LLM is intended to help companies develop Java coding for enterprise software architecture.
 
Would be even better if the Assistant could "Show me how to ..." rather than "Tell me how to ...", using animated gifs like some of the regulars post here. AI could generate tons of those to preload into the (offline) Assistant, right?
 
As far as I can discover, Mendix Studio Pro has nothing whatsoever to do with Fender Studio Pro or its AI Assistant.
As I said, And please, correct me if I'm wrong and missing or misinterpreting something! I guess this is just further proof I should never trust what AI searches unearth :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

So now I wonder what Studio Pro is using? Or is it time to be mega-embarrassed and ask for the thread to be deleted?
 
Back
Top