• Hi and welcome to the Studio One & Studio Pro User Forum!

    Please note that this is an independent, user-driven forum and is not endorsed by, affiliated with, or maintained by Fender. Learn more in the Welcome thread!

Is it possible to create a macro that sets Console Input Gain to a specific value?

beast770

New member
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to streamline my gain staging workflow and want to know if it's possible to build a macro that sets the input control (specifically input gain) on a console track to an exact value of my choice (e.g., -6 dB).

Thanks for any pointers!
 

Attachments

  • image_2026-10-10_230436567.png
    image_2026-10-10_230436567.png
    22,2 KB · Views: 10
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to streamline my gain staging workflow and want to know if it's possible to build a macro that sets the input control (specifically input gain) on a console track to an exact value of my choice (e.g., -6 dB).

Thanks for any pointers!

Best pointer I can offer is to leave the input trims alone (and at 0.0dbFS) and turn your attention to creating a macro that inserts a MixTool (and ideally) a VU meter on the selected channel.

Preset Mixtool to -10dbFS to start and then adjust to taste.

I have been working on this exact same thing for several weeks now and it is much easier to ignore the Inputs. I also believe for true optimal gain staging - these controls ideally should be left at unity as a best practice.

Also - the clue I am getting from your post is that if you consistently need to crank any input gain DOWN by -6 - something is wrong upstream of the channel in Studio Pro. AKA - your source (whatever it is) is simply way too hot coming in.

VP
 
Best pointer I can offer is to leave the input trims alone (and at 0.0dbFS) and turn your attention to creating a macro that inserts a MixTool (and ideally) a VU meter on the selected channel.

Preset Mixtool to -10dbFS to start and then adjust to taste.

I have been working on this exact same thing for several weeks now and it is much easier to ignore the Inputs. I also believe for true optimal gain staging - these controls ideally should be left at unity as a best practice.

Also - the clue I am getting from your post is that if you consistently need to crank any input gain DOWN by -6 - something is wrong upstream of the channel in Studio Pro. AKA - your source (whatever it is) is simply way too hot coming in.

VP
Thanks for chiming in!

Just to clarify on the source side: the tracks aren't actually being recorded too hot upstream. I deliberately normalize audio events at the clip level because it gives me a clear, consistent waveform view for comping, editing, and visual reference across the timeline.

Because of that visual workflow, I use the console’s native input gain to pull the signal down (usually around -12 dB) right at the top of the channel strip to restore proper headroom before hitting any processing.

The main reason I’d rather avoid using Mixtool across every channel is mixer real estate. Adding an extra utility plugin to every single track clutters the insert rack and takes up unnecessary visual space when the console already has a built-in trim control designed for pre-insert leveling.

That’s why I'm hoping to find a way to macro or automate that specific input control. Appreciate the pointers and perspective, though!
 
I deliberately normalize audio events at the clip level because it gives me a clear, consistent waveform view for comping, editing, and visual reference across the timeline.
Then you are effectively altering all your tracks (and natural headroom) and are really not gain staging (in a traditional sense)

Feels more like clipping avoidance

And - I am unaware of any ability to control the input trims via macro.

Good luck.

VP
 
Last edited:
Back
Top