• Hi and welcome to the Studio One & Studio Pro User Forum!

    Please note that this is an independent, user-driven forum and is not endorsed by, affiliated with, or maintained by Fender. Learn more in the Welcome thread!

Crashes with Third Party Plugins

IMHO.
If I was faced with a random issue like this, I would navigate to my my User Preferences folder and rename it OLD_Prefs, or something you will remember, this will preserve your settings if you have a lot of customisation. You can always reverse this if it effects no change.

Fire up FSP and and let it build a new set of preferences. Then run your projects that have previously crashed and see if the crashes still occur...
It may not solve the issue but you can at least dismiss a corrupted user preference file.

@lokeyfly 's first post in this thread suggested some troubleshooting options did you give those a spin?

Good luck hope you get it sorted.

Best regards
 
I would counter that there has been reams of posts on this forum (and the old Presonus based forums) since Studio One v6/v7 and now Studio Pro v8 were released - on how this DAW differs from all the others in one important way - the constant review and "tightening" of the internal VST SDK plugin spec.

Each and every cycle - this SDK is reviewed, tweaked and optimized - and this optimization sometimes shines an unfavorable light on plugins that one would think should follow the VST SDK spec to a "T" - but do not.

Just because Dune 3 seemingly gets a clean pass from other DAWs - does not in any way mean that is it coded correctly to the spec. Maybe Dune 3 actually does have hidden issues that other DAWs do not not pick up on (or conveniently ignore) OR these issues have now been exposed by a DAW that does not permit shortcuts or "bypassing" the spec.

VP
I would counter that this is a perfect example of what I call "Defense of DAW Mode". You see it on every DAW forum. People so entwined in their choice of DAW that they can't bear to accept the fact that it might not be perfect.

So you're saying that a plugin that works flawlessly in five other DAWs on the same system is the cause of the problem in Studio Pro? Remove your emotional attachment and think that over again and see if it actually makes logical sense.

You're saying that six different plugins are not "coded to spec" even though they also work flawlessly in other DAWs? That points to Studio Pro not being coded properly, instead of the plugins...if you take your Fender colored glasses off and see things clearly.

Synapse Audio has been around since the very early days of the VST revolution and at one point made one of the more popular DAWs at the time of their own. Their plugins have some of the tightest code in the business, period.

So what I know based on years of experience and not what I feel I can say with confidence that DUNE 3 is not the culprit in this issue. I have programmed well over a thousand patches for it not counting edits done in projects without issue in more than a half dozen other DAWs and going all the back to WinXP. It is the most stable plugin I own hands down, end of story. Sorry if that rocks your world but facts are facts despite your feelings.
 
So you're saying that a plugin that works flawlessly in five other DAWs on the same system is the cause of the problem in Studio Pro? Remove your emotional attachment and think that over again and see if it actually makes sense.

What am I saying is you have no knowledge whatsoever on the code structure or design of any DAW out there nor any knowledge of how Synaspe Audio has created Dune 3

All you seem to want to do is blame something (anything) rather than your environment, your setup or anything else that is causing you grief.

Until you can come to grips with this - nothing you say will matter.

The reality is that many of us have no issues with anything. Including Dune 3. Funny how that works.

VP
 
Last edited:
Part of what you perceive as Defense of DAW mode is other people's extensive experience with multiple DAWs, going way back, that are NOT experiencing the same problems you are. If there was a blatant error being reported by a group of users, then more users would move from Defense of DAW to Defense of Plugin right along with you.
 
Maybe post a reproducible procedure (that you feel is likely to contribute to a crash) that users here can try in Dune 3? I have never had a problem with Dune 3 personally but if you feel it's one of the problems that is illustrative of an FSP problem, it sounds like there are at least a few Dune 3 users here who can see if there's something going on.
 
That's what I wanted to mention as well - any plugin has to follow the VST protocol. But in many cases they use non-standard solutions (true MIDI outs in VST3s could be an example) and the DAWs created workarounds to let them still work. the most famous DAW for this is Reaper. As long as something comes out of the pretend-VST, Reaper will make it run somehow. But that is not good for a standard, wether VST, CLAP or AU. Tightening the leeways is the better route. Yes, it will make us angry and it will be frustrating, if our trusty old VST suddenly refuses to work properly, but in return the overall experience will be much smoother with a lot less of a hassle.

@Teksonik :
From the first post it seems, you were not looking for help, but confirmation. Even now, after support told you the culprits, you still want to blame everything else but your beloved VSTs. You won't get that here, because an opinion is not a help. But this is the support sub-forum. You asked, if others had issues with crashes. I answered no. You claim, Dune 3 would be rock-solid. A quick search on Google revealed tons of crashes in several DAWs over the years. You mention FL Studio and Waveform Pro 13.5 also crashing. I have both as well, and never had a crash in years of using them. If confirmation is all you seek, ignore this answer. Else, start to identify the issues with your PC. Because one thing is true: occasional rare crashes are ok. What you experience is not occasional or rare.
My bet is on the graphics card. Maybe dead drivers, maybe faulty VRAM. But guessing and betting doesn't help.
See my post above, I won't bother reiterating its salient points. The purpose of this thread was to gather information to pass along to support, not to get "advice". Do you experience such crashes or not? Pretty simple question or at least it should be. A handful of people have replied that they do not but it's a statically insignificant number. To those people I say thanks. To others who have offered "unplug it and plug it back in" level of advice, I appreciate your attempts but please don't bother any further.

Again you're in Defense of DAW mode simply attempting to defend your beloved DAW. Also how do you explain multiple plugins causing crashes? Are they all corrupt or is it more likely to be an issue with the Daw? Think it through.

Also again I have been an alpha and beta tester for several DAWs and a lot of plugins for many many years. This is not my first rodeo. I am well versed in bug hunting and interactions with people who actually write the code.

I can tell you that DUNE 3 has been rock solid here since its first release and that counts ealy betas as well. I can tell you that it is rock solid on my studio system in all other DAWs. That's a simple fact. You can google any plugin and find reports of issues. That does not make those issues common in relation to the size of the user base. Go to KVR and find a report of issues with DUNE 3. I haven't seen one and that forum has hundreds of thousands of members. I also frequent Synapse Audio's company forum and I don't see reports of issues related to stability.

As for "Maybe dead drivers, maybe faulty VRAM" the card is only two years old and the drivers are up to date. Please explain how if it were drivers or memory why that wouldn't also affect all the other DAWs on the same system? The crashes would be easily reproducible in every DAW and not so random. I do agree that it is likley a graphics call issue due to the actions before the crashes. Of note, my second studio system has also generated a prolem log even though I barely use it so that would tend to point away from a system specific issue since it has totally different specs. If five DAWs don't have the issue and one does on the same system where does logic dicate that we look? If we're saying the Studio Pro is coded "better" yet can't handle exceptions without hard crashing then that argument goes out the window.

No my friend you're simply grasping at straws becase god forbid there should be an issue with your favorite DAW.

At this point there is no solid evidence pointing one way or the other as to the cause of the crashes. All I can do is gather the data as it is here, pass it along to support and speculate as to the cause. To me based on my experience it seems unlikely that six different plugins have caused intermittent crashes (not consistent crashes) in one DAW but not all the others on the same system. Something else is at play. What is yet to be determined. For the record the last thing I want it to be is a problem with Studio Pro because I have grown to love it a great deal and plan to use it as my main DAW going forward. I am not approaching this emotionally but rather intellectually. I simply want to find the verified truth no matter what it may be and hopefully aid in finding a fix to prevent further crashes.

Anyway I'm working with support and I'm waiting for a reponse to a question I had about further data contained in the probelm logs. So I don't see much point in any further discussions here. We'll see how it goes. When (if) there is a valid determination I will post it here.
 
Part of what you perceive as Defense of DAW mode is other people's extensive experience with multiple DAWs, going way back, that are NOT experiencing the same problems you are. If there was a blatant error being reported by a group of users, then more users would move from Defense of DAW to Defense of Plugin right along with you.
I'm not defending anything. I'm simply stating facts as there are here. Fact: DUNE 3 has always been rock solid here in several other DAWs on the same system. Make of that fact as you will. I also have "extensive experience with multiple DAWs, going way back" (included their fan forums). Again this is not my first rodeo.
 
Maybe post a reproducible procedure (that you feel is likely to contribute to a crash) that users here can try in Dune 3? I have never had a problem with Dune 3 personally but if you feel it's one of the problems that is illustrative of an FSP problem, it sounds like there are at least a few Dune 3 users here who can see if there's something going on.
That's the problem. I have not been able to reproduce a crash and I have tried everything in my bag of tricks. I have worked for hours doing the same things I did before the crash without generating another crash. The issue is totally random which makes it harder to nail down.

I'm waiting to hear back from support to see what format I was using as reported by the probelm logs. Three of the mentioned plugins do have a CLAP version so if was using it instead of VST 3 then that would be a huge clue.

At any rate let's all go make some music........
 
  • Like
Reactions: AAV
That's the problem. I have not been able to reproduce a crash and I have tried everything in my bag of tricks. I have worked for hours doing the same things I did before the crash without generating another crash. The issue is totally random which makes it harder to nail down.

I'm waiting to hear back from support to see what format I was using as reported by the probelm logs. Three of the mentioned plugins do have a CLAP version so if was using it instead of VST 3 then that would be a huge clue.

At any rate let's all go make some music........
I've never used the CLAP version personally, (or any other installed CLAP version). Seems to me I vaguely remember someone posting about a problem related to a CLAP version of (another?) synth. I'd be less surprised if that is the case 👍
 
No DAW is 100% bullet proof especially if it is used heavily that's just an unfortunate fact of life.
Correct. Nor computer. Thx for noting your system is kept tight (a good thing), but you do realize we have to ask or clarify how an OP might be treating things. Beta testing or not. You'd be amazed at some of the lax judgement from some on their DAW adventure. Treating a DAW like a third class hobby.

Yes, the crash dump file is to be forwarded to support, not readily interpreted from us. Sometimes something as silly as a delay in how your S1/FSP opens can point to an issue.

I take it, you probably bypassed a number of plugins upon startup as well? In any event, thx for noting the care you take. Many of us do as well. From plugin selection, to careful d'load usage. Man, Ive seen even where an older mouse driver can reap havoc on a perfectly tight system. No need to clarify, or be defensive. Stuff happens. Probably best to weigh what support noted on those six potential plugs. Even re install, work small, and build back, for troubleshooting purpose. It's understandably frustrating, so peace and respect.

As reinforced by others here, we're not seeing similar issues.
 
{Clip)

As reinforced by others here, we're not seeing similar issues.
The one fact that is being stepped over is, no one else has contributed a similar experience of random crashes to date and might indicate a strong possibility this is system specific problem. Hopefully FSP support will provide a solution and the OP can get to enjoy SO1/FSP.

Kindest regards
 
Back
Top